Saturday 8 November 2008

It's Five Years Today.




Five years ago today I got up out of bed put a nicotine patch on my arm and stopped smoking. I had tried many times before this and failed. I knew this time I would have to do something about my bad habit. I was smoking in excess of 25 a day while still working what was I going to be like when I retired in 12 months from then with all the time in the world to puff away what would I be like. Health wise my blood pressure was off the scale nearly so something had to be done. I went to our stop smoking nurse at our surgery and she was a great help. The first time I saw her I had to blow into this contraption that measured the poisons in the lungs and she said I was the worst she had seen, I was in tears but it did spur me on when I stopped. Financially it was a must too with the price of ciggies I would not be able to afford to smoke and do all the things we wanted to do. Stuart had stopped after his heart attack in 1997 and I had been promising to do the same it just took ages for me to make up my mind. I have put on a bit of weight more than I would have liked and am having bother trying to shift it. I have become one of those ex smokers that hate the smell of cigarettes they say we are worse than people that have never smoked. I am very proud of myself for doing this and thanks to the patches the nurse and Stuart for all the help ,I did it.

We have been out bird watching today there was a rare bird in our area that had arrived from the USA so we took a run in the car to see her. Will write up all about her in my Bird Watching Journal now the link is in the sidebar. Will leave you with a picture of the town of my birth that I took today as we passed on the other side of the river Tay the town is Dundee. I have not doctored it this is the way it was that is why we stopped to take it. Till next time Love Joan.
Bonnie Dundee 8th November 2008

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done you on giving up.......

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a great thing you've accomplished! That is no little feat. I admire anyone that can master their bad habits. I'm a weak one I fear. Lots of bad habits around this house. The picture is awesome with the town all lit up like that. What a nice walk and view you had today.
'On Ya'- ma

Jenny said...

Well done. I gave up at my second attempt 37 years ago and i cannot stand the smell either. But when ever my daughter asks me to get one out for her if her hands are full the smell of fresh tobacco is still a pleasure. Once an addict always an addict.
Jenny <><

Yasmin said...

Congrats on giving up I've slipped a bit, but gettin there, the money saved alone is worth it.

nice photo of your hometime and you caught a little sinshine in the background

Take care

Yasmin
x

Chris/cacklinrosie101 said...

Congratulations on five years! I stopped on May 28, 2007. I used the drug Chantix. I had tried cold turkey before that and went crazy. I don't mind the smell of smoke while people are smoking but absolutely can't stand the smell of smoke on clothing or that stale smell of smoke on a person after they've had a cig. xx

Marie Rayner said...

Congrats Joan on being smoke free for five years. It's coming up to 20 years for me. When I quit, I was a pack a day smoker. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I am so glad that I finally succeeded. I had tried many times before that last time with no success. I did gain a lot of weight after though, which really bothers me, but I am still glad I quit.

Ally Lifewithally said...

Congratualtions Joan on 5 years not smoking ~ beautiful picture of your Home Town ~ Ally x

Jeannette said...

Beautiful picture. Well done on giving up, wish I could. I have always failed.

Sage Ravenwood said...

As you know it's been over a year for me. I hate to think how much my Emphysema would of progressed if I kept smoking. Paul quit for 3 months, but he's back at it again. I was so disheartened I wanted him to not know what I'm going through. Yet...I know he has to make that decision to quit on his own. (Hugs)Indigo

Jeannette said...

The only time my BP went out of control was when I quit.... it went up to 270/170! Once I started again it went down. I've given up a lot of times for up to four months but just can't give up those nicotine patches. They make my skin itch so much I don't think I'd try them again! Well done for keeping smoke free for five years, that's quite an achievement! I love the photo of Dundee, I've never been there. Jeannette xx

Sandra said...

Congrats on reaching five years smoke free Joan. Jim gave up when he was 35 and now he complains bitterly if he even smells smoke. I reformed in my 20`s and I can`t believe I ever found any enjoyment in those little white sticks!

Love Sandra xxxx

Blogs I read.