Friday 7 November 2008

Poppies




Good Evening, there is two reasons today for choosing poppies for today's header. First it is Remembrance Weekend and Stuart new painting. First of all Jeannette's entry today reminded me of my late Uncle Will who fought with the Scots Guards in WW1. He was severely wounded at Ypres, was left for dead and was not found till later when the medics were checking. He lived on with his injuries till he was in his eighties although he did lose both his legs. I will always remember him as a very gentle old man who stayed with my Mum and Dad and played with our son for hours, and smoked Woodbine.





Stuart started a painting of a of meadow of poppies (not the one above) a few weeks ago at his class. They had a week off last week for the big draw and he finished it today. Normally I love Stuart's work but this painting is awful he says the the same thing. It was an exercise for his teacher and they were doing it a bit at a time being shown another bit then doing that, nobody seem to like this but like children everybody did what they were told. Hopefully next week everything will be back to normal and I will be admiring hubbies paintings again.I think that's about it for tonight will go and look for a nice picture for you. Love Joan.


I took this picture from The Isle of Skye Golf Club looking North.

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Have a good weekend.
Jenny <><

Jeannette said...

Your uncle was a very brave man. Who knows he might even have met my Grandfather!! For years I have wanted a print of a field of poppies to hang on my wall. I love them so much. We remember with pride. Happy weekend my friend.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Your uncle along with thousands of other brave me deserve the day of REMEMBERANCE for sure. Our lives and our children's lives will be better because of them. I took several painting classes, mostly oils, and found that red was one of the toughest colors to paint. Probably why Stuart had a time of it with his poppies. Your picture of the golf club is delightful. My boys all like to golf, but I think this golf club would be a challenge. 'On Ya'- ma

Unknown said...

thank you as always for a nice entry!

Where did you get the feedblitz option?

Yasmin said...

The painting is not bad and it's fitting for Rememberance day, which i'll be watching on Sunday morning.

Have a good weekend

Yasmin
xx

Marie Rayner said...

Great entry Joan. We must be ever mindful of the sacrifice that was paid so that we can today enjoy the rights and freedoms that we do. We must never forget.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Our Remembance Day is called Veterans Day and we will be celebrating it on Nov.11.....a time to recall those who have fought and died for peace througout our nations,,,,my hubbie is a Vietnam Vet! Our part of the Blue Ridge mountains is in North Carolina....but, we're about 20 miles south of Virginia and 20 miles east of Tennessee!!brboomer

Jeannette said...

There must be so many people out there who can tell stories of their familes who lost their lives in that war. I'd have hated to live through a war like that although I know our brave servicemen are still out there today fighting for us. God bless them all. I love that top graphic and your photo of the day is gorgeous! It looks like a painting itself! Have a good weekend and stay warm! Jeannette xx

Sugar said...

the poppies are lovely. i did a poppy tag along with other tags for the wkend on my journal today.
huggies...

Blogs I read.